We are currently seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Medical Coding Support Staff Associate for our centrally located multi-specialty surgical group. This position reports directly to the Coding Supervisor and is responsible for the daily support and provision of information to our campuses. You must have positive interpersonal skills, excellent documentation, organization and the ability to accurately perform multiple detailed tasks.
- Assists the coding department and follow up team on coding, billing, charge entry, applying and transferring money or patient credits.
- Provides services and information to physicians and staff
- Reviews and analyzes health information through the use of Electronic health records for provider completion and record deficiencies.
- Performs charts preparation for coding staff which includes reviewing and accurately entering patient demographics and medical insurance.
- Ability to research and reconcile unbilled charges, x-rays and surgeries to an excel format for several campuses.
- Ability to easily navigate hospital websites for medical record documentation.
- Communicates effectively and positively when providing customer service to staff and providers regarding questions or requests around patient records or coding issues.
- Review, organize and date pertinent coding faxes or scanned documents from several campuses in effort to maintain completeness of electronic medical record.
- Perform a variety of other support functions that are useful to the coding department and organization, and do not require a professional coding certification.
- Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards.
- Requires the general knowledge and comfort in using multiple computer systems and applications simultaneously.
- High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge and one or more years of experience working in healthcare setting.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively in oral and written formats; requires ability to inspect, read, and analyze written material.
- Must be able to perform and work on multiple tasks and organize and prioritize work.
- Requires good judgment, initiative and problem-solving abilities, along with effective teamwork skills.
- Must have strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Existing knowledge and proficiency in accessing and utilizing EHR systems is required; working knowledge of NextGen is preferred.
- A background in the use of medical terminology is required.
- Additional related education and/or experience preferred.